Let me get this out first:
RENFEST WAS WAY INCREDIBLY BEYOND IMAGINATION AWESOME!!!!!!!
Okay, now I've got that out.
We left for Renfest at about 10, meaning we got there about noon. After jamming to music in the car and taking a nap, I felt refreshed and ready for the experience! We parked and wheeled Rachel's chair (yo, she's in a wheelchair for those who don't know) across the muddy grass and gravel pathways to get to the far-off entrance. Once we got there, and gave our tickets, we entered what seemed to be a new world. It was like walking into a village in the 16th century! We strolled through the endless booths of jewelry, swords, costumes, books, anything that could be bought was there!
After we tired of the booths, we visited a group of minstrels playing in the grass, and Jenny danced as I took a picture. I took most of the pictures actually. We then went to see jousting, which was incredible, and from there to the “Ded Bob Show”. For those of you under 18, do not go to this show. For those of you older, it was absolutely hilarious! Ded Bob is a puppet skeleton that is more than a little risqué, but also very funny. We laughed ourselves silly.
After the show, we continued traversing the grounds, running into such memorable things as the flute-maker, the tactile balls, a man carving copper leaves, and so many costumed people I couldn’t even begin to count them. Also we watched a gypsy dance on another stage, where at one point a dancer took out a live snake and was dancing with it! We took pictures left and right, needless to say. And I then proceeded to buy a dagger, very cheap, and very sharp. I love it dearly.
The highlight of the day, however, was when we were about to leave, and were told that in a few minutes we could witness the King attempting to cure Don Quixote. Unwilling to miss this, we waited, and were not disappointed when the scene arrived. We entered into an arena type area, with benches behind it for us to sit in, to watch the duel scene. It was incredible! When it was over though, the King posed a riddle for all those in the audience. The courtiers then went out to ask everyone if they knew the answer. Jenny and I quickly decided what the answer was, and to our surprise, we got it right!
The King then told those of us who got it right to come forward into the arena. He then asked the six of us that got the riddle, another riddle. It was easy, and Jenny and I, and everyone else got it right. We were then told to kneel. The King came to me first, and laid his sword on my shoulder and said these words: “In the name of St. Michael and St. George, I hereby declare thee fit to mete out justice in this village, and proclaim you a Knight of the Quest.” We were thrilled, and so excited, and as we stood after that and the crowd all cheered for us, I knew I had found my adventure.
More shall be posted later, when I am not quite so tired. Love you all!
Sunday, October 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wonderful! I'm so glad you had a great time! :D
Post a Comment